The Arc of Sedgwick County began in 1953 when parents concerned about services and future opportunities for their children formed The Wichita Association for Retarded Children. This organization, a United Way member agency, was the first in this county to promote the general welfare of all persons with intellectual disabilities, to foster the development of programs on their behalf, and to increase the public’s awareness and acceptance.
The Arc currently serves persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities including down syndrome, autism, cerebral palsy, and epilepsy.
The Arc is unique among organizations in Sedgwick County in responding to the needs of persons intellectual and developmental disabilities (ID/DD) and their families. The Arc often provides the first and most continuous lifeline for these community members. The combination of parent and professional assistance offered by The Arc provides emotional support, accurate information, and direct services that enable families to meet their parenting responsibilities. The Arc is more than a service agency. It functions as a genuine community for children and adults with ID/DD and their families. In short, the work of The Arc provides thousands of Sedgwick County residents the opportunities and means to be valuable, contributing participants in our community.
The Arc of Sedgwick County is one of over 700 chapters in the United States dedicated to advocacy and support of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families.
- InterHab Insider: What's the status on the Siegfreid Proviso & House Budget Recommendation? fb.me/19fxqZ9uw 7 hours ago
- Ron Pasmore: Face the facts on KanCare | Wichita Eagle fb.me/P2IA70n0 11 hours ago
- Starkey's CEO Colin McKenney shares in today's letters to the editors section of the Wichita Eagle fb.me/CF7HGXpe 11 hours ago
- YESS volunteer meeting is tonight at 7. Join us at The Arc (2919 w 2nd). 2 days ago
- Preparing for our YESS parent meeting at 6:00. Come meet our summer staff and hear about the exciting things planned. #AchieveWithUs 2 days ago